We Can Help
Basic Adult CPR
- Check for signs of circulation (such as coughing or movement) for 5-10 seconds.
- If there is circulation but the victim is not breathing, give Rescue Breathing at a rate of 1 breath every 5 seconds.
- If there are no signs of circulation, begin chest compressions as follows:
- Place heel of one hand on the middle of victim’s breastbone. With your other hand directly on top of the first hand, depress sternum 1.5 to 2 inches.
- perform 30 compressions to every 2 breaths. (rate of 100 per minute)
- Check for return of circulation every two minutes.
- Place victim flat on his/her back on a hard surface
- Shake victim at the shoulders and shout “are you okay”
- If no response, call 911
- Head-tilt/chin-lift – open victims’ airway by tilting their head back with one hand while lifting up their chin with your other hand.
- Position your cheek close to victims’ nose and mouth, look toward victims’ chest, and Look, Listen, and Feel for breathing (5-10 seconds).
- If not breathing, pinch victim’s nose closed and give 2 full breaths into victim’s mouth (use microshield if available).
- If breaths won’t go in, reposition head and try again to give the breaths. If still blocked continue CPR, with the exception of looking in the mouth for a foreign object before giving another breath.
CONTINUE UNITERRUPTED UNTIL ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE.
Richland County EMS offers classes in CPR and first aid. Contact the office for more information.